Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Crunchy Honey Chicken

My posts have been far and few between the month of May. This month has been one of the craziest months, I don't think if I had a day with nothing to do until today (minus Susie Sunshine hacking away at my teeth this morning at the dentist, lovely, really.)

Now I know you're probably all anticipating Italy in detail, but figuring I haven't even showed my parents pictures yet or gone in depth with them about my trip, I will catch up on all the recipes from May I've been withholding and then move on to Italy.

I usually planned out our meals for every week but I must admit towards the end of the year, menu planning and meals together became less and less as our lives became busier and busier. This meal is super easy and quick to make and a personal favorite. (Don't mind the bad picture..I was clearly in a rush to eat, per usual.....)



Crunchy Honey Chicken
source: How Sweet Eats

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken, thinly sliced
2 egg whites
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sugar snap peas
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
salt and pepper, to taste

Serve with rice.


Directions:
1. Prepare and slice all vegetables.
2. In two separate bowls, add the egg whites (lightly beaten) and the cornstarch.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add veggies with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in soy sauce and garlic and stir until veggies are coated. Remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl.
4. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat and add remaining olive oil. Dip chicken in egg whites then dredge in cornstarch. Add to the skillet and let brown for 2-3 minutes, then flip.
5. Once chicken is cooked, add veggies back in the skillet. Add honey and thoroughly mix to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper and additional honey or soy sauce, if needed. Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment