Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dinosaur BBQ Peanut Butter Pie

I got a little ambitious on Cinco de Mayo, figuring it'd be a cinch to whip up two pies and sangria in between a trip to Wegmans, our lunch outing to Alto Cinco in honor of the birthday girl and the million of other things that need to get done on any given Saturday.

Let me back up on how this peanut butter pie came to be, because anyone who knows me knows the closest relationship I have to peanut butter is when my father calls me peanut butter, ironically enough, it happens quite often. 

One Friday afternoon Jared and I took a nice little road trip home so he could meet my parents, bring a car load of belongings home, enjoy a home cooked meal and go to Moonlight. Obviously hitting up all the hot spots of Fairport (our kitchen and moons). Tay had requested a key lime pie for her birthday and my father and I have made Dinosaur's many times so I knew that was the recipe to use. As I'm thumbing through the Dinosaur book, J asks if the peanut butter pie recipe is in there, lo and behold it is. J and I run to Wegmans to grab some things for later that night and we come back and oh look, my mother printed out the recipe for it, looks like J was getting his peanut butter pie.

Thankfully, I had my trusty side kick E to help after lunch because I wasn't exactly looking forward to touching or smelling peanut butter for the next half hour. I'm probably one of the seldom few who hates the smell of peanut butter, I mean really, it's quite disgusting. But thanks to E's help and me sucking up the icky smell, J got his Dinosaur Peanut Butter Pie and was a happy, happy camper and all I made out with was itchy hands. Could have been much worse, I suppose.

(failure to take a nice picture, by the time we were ready to transport all the goodies for the evening to the boys we were a bit rushed and I just snapped a pic real quick)

Dinosaur BBQ Peanut Butter Pie
source: Dinosaur BBQ

Ingredients:
for the crust:
20 oreo sandwich cookies
3 tablespoons butter, melted
for the filling:
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups smooth peanut butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
for the garnish(which naturally, I forgot):
1/2 cup chopped peanuts

Directions:
1. To make the crust, crumble cookies in a food processor then put them in a bowl with the melted butter. Press crumbs evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Chill while making the filling.
2. To make the filling, put the cream, vanilla, cream cheese, peanut butter and confectioners' sugar in a mixer bowl. Mix on low for 1 minute, until blended, then gradually increase the speed to high. Whip until light and fluffy, about 1 more minute.
3. Spoon the filling into the chilled pie shell. Even off the top and sprinkle with peanuts. Pop in the fridge and let chill until set, about 4 hours. Serve chilled, don't leave it out at room temperature for too long because it will soften too much!

1 comment: