Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Teamwork

Usually we plan our schedules out nicely that we have class in the morning and are done around 1 or 2 every day, perfect to have the afternoon to do work then prepare dinner and be eating by 5:30-6. Well, I totally screwed that one up. I don't start until 2:15 on Monday/Wednesdays or 12:30 on Tuesdays/Thursdays therefore I'm not done until 6:20. Totally. Ruins. Everything. So a little bit of teamwork and dinner is on the table waiting when I get home.

This morning I had a zillion things to do (applications galore) I wanted to get done before class and also had to prep dinner for Mariah to assemble. I had the sweet potato in the oven at 9, cutting onions at 10 (not the way to start your day, let me tell you) and everything labeled in tupper ware before I was out the door.

Then I came home to this:

Mariah even made homemade dough because she was "bored and didn't want to do homework". Killer teamwork let me tell you. Oh and, when I walked in the door, pizza was fresh out of the oven and my milk was poured. Rockstar of a roommate. With pumpkin bread waiting on the counter for dessert. Double rockstar.


Sweet Potato Pizza with Kale and Caramelized Onions
adapted from: The Type A Housewife

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 cups chopped uncooked kale
3 tbsp. skim milk
1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
Homemade whole wheat pizza crust (or prepared)
1 cup shredded Fontina cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potato several times with fork and roast about 45 minutes, or until soft. Allow to cool slightly--do not turn off oven.
2. While potato is baking, heat oil in medium skillet over low heat. Add onion and dash of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until just caramelized. Add kale to skillet and cook until tender and wilted. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Scoop insides of potato into medium bowl and mash; add milk, sage, and salt and combine until well-mixed and smooth. Spread mixture onto pizza crust.
4. Top with half of cheese, kale and onions, and then remaining cheese. Bake pizza in oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until kale begins to crisp and cheese melts.



No comments:

Post a Comment