Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Slow-Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches

I have an odd obsession with anything buffalo chicken. My favorite being Pontillo's Buffalo Chicken Pizza. Oh my, heaven. Brings me back to senior year in high school when it'd be the lucky day we went to Ponts for lunch. The slices were as big as my head and we gobbled every bite up dipped in blue cheese. A close second is buffalo chicken wraps from Wegmans, blue cheese only none of that other stuff. The simplest things.


We get the Martha Stewart's Everyday Food at home and I always love the days when it comes in the mail and pouring over its contents. This gem of a recipe caught my eye because it had the words buffalo chicken in it, clearly I was hooked. This isn't your typical buffalo chicken though, it only has 1 tablespoon of hot sauce!! Don't get me wrong, it still has a bite to it but it's not your typical buffalo chicken.

One Saturday morning I found myself wide awake at 8 am. And I went to bed at 2:30. Yet I was wide awake so I headed down to the kitchen and got cooking, quietly of course. We had  T squared over for dinner and watch the basketball game..the fateful game we lost (we all know what I'm talking about since we only have one loss, yay Go 'Cuse!!). But we drowned our sorrows out that night, not to worry.


Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
Adapted from: Everyday Food


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and ground pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/8 cup hot-pepper sauce, such as Frank's
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
6 hamburger buns

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken breasts, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring once, until meat is golden brown, 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a slow cooker, leaving as much oil behind as possible.
2. To skillet, add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook over medium, stirring constantly, until onion is translucent, 6 minutes. Add 1/8 cup water and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits (the goodness) from skillet, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to slow cooker.
3. To slow cooker, add crushed tomatoes, hot-pepper sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, and molasses; stir to combine. Cover and cook on high until chicken is very tender, 4 hours. Shred chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to broiler. Spread butter on both sides of the rolls and toast under the broiler until golden brown. Pile the chicken high and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment