Friday, June 1, 2012

S'mores Cookie Bars

Tomorrow I'm moving into our house. Finally. I mean we only signed the lease like 10 months ago and have been waiting for this day for like ever. Today my mother and I went and got the keys and I fell back in love with the house we picked out so long ago. (To be completely honest all I remember from our initial visit is the walk in pantry. A highlight for Mariah and I, no more baking supplies in a Tupperware bin).

Naturally instead of packing I'm doing anything but. I have been a nomad since I moved back home, no sense in unpacking when I was just going to re pack it all up again in a few weeks. Thus, my belongings are everywhere. And my clothes? Well they are now spread across my bed waiting to be packed into a suitcase. Perhaps I'll do that, I would like to sleep at some point tonight.

Whenever I eat something S'mores-esq it brings me back to when It'ly came to America and we had a bon fire and introduced them to S'mores. To think someone doesn't know the goodness of how a S'mores tastes boggles my mind. But we fulfilled our civic duty and introduced the novelty we call S'mores to It'ly and all was well in the world.

S'mores Cookie Bars
source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
2 cups marshmallow topping (Fluff!)
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or chunks in my case)

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9 x 13- inch pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhand on the 2 short sides. Grease the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing until combined. Divide the dough in half. Press half into the bottom of the prepared pan until the dough is evenly flattened. Dollop the marshmallow topping on top of the cookie base and gently spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with chocolate chips on top.
3. Scatter the remaining dough over the top in clumps- you don't have to stress if you don't cover the top completely. Marshmallow and chocolate chips will peek through! Bake the bars until golden brown, about 30-32 minutes. Cool completely. Remove the bars from the pan and cut into bars.
4. Serve and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment