And naturally, what is the first thing we did Friday to kill some time while we waited for Emily and for the night to begin? Baked.
We have an excess of white chocolate so we decided we would make chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate frosting. Well, half the cupcakes are frosted. With left over coconut whipped cream cheese frosting from Mariah's birthday cake (coming later). The other half will get frosted with the real meant to be frosting tomorrow after class (welp, the first day!)
Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes
adapted from: Eat Show and Tell
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 cup freshly brewed coffee
1 cup buttermilk , well-shaken
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 extra-large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 Line 2 (12-cup) muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
3. Whisk together coffee and buttermilk in a bowl and set aside.
4. In another bowl beat oil and sugar on medium-high speed until combined. Add egg and vanilla; combine well. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients and wet ingredients in 3 batches, starting and ending with dry ingredients; combine well.
5. Divide batter among 24 cups and bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a cupcake comes out clean.Transfer pans to racks and cool completely in the pan.
Coconut Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from Dashing Dish
1 tub light cool whip
1 8oz package fat free cream cheese
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1. Beat cream cheese and cream cheese until well blended.
2. Fold in the cool whip and coconut.3. Frost away :)