Thursday, May 19, 2011

brown sugar coconut cupcakes with blueberry frosting

A series of unfortunate events occurred this morning. It probably all started when I woke up at 7. It's summer here body, get adjusting. My alarm was going to go off in an hour and forty minutes, I really could of used a great night sleep due to the face I was dragging my butt to cycling (a chore in itself). So finally, I fall back asleep, only to wake up at 8, at this point I give up and get out of bed. Off to cycling I go. If you've never done it, I advise you not to. Well, not really, once the hour is over you feel like a champ, but all you want to do is crash into your soft bed and not move for the rest of the day. Today, was just like any other day of cycling and my bed was calling. Yeah well, then I got locked out of the house for a solid 15 minutes. NOT OKAY. The car garage door opener wouldn't work, the key pad wouldn't budge no matter how many times I tried. Both my parents were playing the ignore my phone call game ;) and I was so frazzled. Finally 15 minutes later I got in. At this point I was so angry I forgot I wanted to fall into my bed. 

Instead I decided to bake. 

I have this thing for brown sugar. And coconut. And blueberries. Oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon is my daily breakfast. Unless I'm in a cereal phase which then consists of Cinnamon Life with frozen blueberries. And well the coconut thing, I could consume anything with coconut in it, on the daily, if I could. But then I'd have to spend even more time cycling. Fat chance.


Brown Sugar Coconut Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes


1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious)
3/4 cup shredded coconut (heaping)


 1. Preheat the oven to 350 and line or spray a cupcake tray.
2.Cream the sugar and butter. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Mix the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and add the milk. Mix until combined
5.Fold in the coconut 
6. Scoop the batter into the cupcake tray (I used a 1/4 cup to measure them out)
7. Bake for 25 minutes and let cool.



 I have this problem, it consists of lack of patience and I usually under bake things. This time I cut one open just to double check it was actually done.
Blueberry Frosting

2 Tablespoons shortening
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup plus extra powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon Coconut milk
1/2 cup frozen blueberries thawed
Shredded coconut

1. Cream the shortening and butter
2. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, coconut milk and blueberries and mix. Make sure to mash up the blueberries.
3. Add more powdered sugar until desired consistency (I used about 1/2 cup more)
4. Spoon onto cupcakes and top with coconut


1 comment:

  1. Those look incredible, Melissa! I love blueberries! And So Delicious coconut milk is great for baking. I'm going to try making these with Egg Replacer and Earth Balance, instead of butter and eggs. I bet they'll be just as delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete