One of my favorite blogs is How Sweet It Is and many of the recipes I make come from there, this included.
Chicken Mac and Cheesefrom Jessica at How Sweet It Is, found here
1 1/2 pounds whole wheat pasta
2 boneless chicken breasts, grilled and chopped
3 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
pinch of nutmeg (I didn't add this)
2 cups milk (any type will work)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded smoked gruyere cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Boil water for pasta according to the directions.
3. In a skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil and saute the onions and red pepper.
4. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add butter and flour whisking together to create a roux.
5. Add milk and cream, stirring constantly.
6. Add cheeses and nutmeg, stirring constantly until mixture thickens (about 5-8 minutes)
7. In a baking dish, layer pasta, chicken, pepper and onion mixture and bacon.
8. Add half the cheese sauce then repeat step 7.
9. Add remaining cheese sauce
10. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.