This cake was from daddy's birthday where we made Carrot and Pineapple Cake via Ina Garten and it was a huge success.
This cake is rather time consuming so make sure you have plenty of time on your hands before you begin! It is also a very rich cake, the amount of sugar, eggs and oil seems a bit well, gross, but once you taste this you will forget about the contents, it's that good.
Carrot and Pineapple Cake
Adapted from Ina Garten
For the Cake:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup raisins
1 pound carrots, grated**
1/2 cup fresh diced pineapple***
1/2 cup shredded coconut
For the frosting:
3/4 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract1 pound confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 3502. Heavily grease 2-8 inch round cake pans
For the Cake:
1. Beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together until light yellow.
2. Add the vanilla
3. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 1/2 cups flour, the cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet.
5. Toss the raisins with 1 tablespoon flour.
6. Fold in the carrots and pineapple and add to the batter, mix well.
7. Divide batter equally between the two pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans over a wire rack.
For the Frosting:
1. Mix the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer until combined.
2. Add sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Place 1 layer, flat-side up on your serving platter of choice, spread the top with frosting.
4. Place the second layer rounded side up and spread the frosting on the top and all over the sides to cover thoroughly.
*I have been told from a very reliable source, actually putting the eggs at room temperature makes a difference :)
**Buy your carrots already shredded, we did not, talk about a pain and add more time.***We used canned pineapple, drained.