Monday, February 20, 2012
A very special Birthday
I wish I was kidding when I say our whole weekend was based around our meals, but it really was. It got thrown off a little when B surprised us and came home a day early so we all could go to Compane, which is always a must when we're all home. Saturday for lunch we had paninis, Sunday for lunch we had spinach tortellini soup and then for dinner dad and I tackled homemade pizza crust in the Kitchen Aide which I obviously lugged home. Kitchen Aides are just magical let me tell you.
We obviously had to have cake to celebrate after daddy opened prizes. Let me tell you I searched and searched trying to find a recipe for the cake, because it had to be perfect if it was for my daddy. And I think I did a pretty good job. This may have been the best chocolate cake I have ever had. It was SO good.
Chocolate Cake with Coffee Caramel Buttercream
source: Kevin & Amanda
the BEST chocolate cake
1 box devil's food cake mix
1 small pkg Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon milk
2 cups mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350, line two 8-inch circular pans
2. In a large bowl, mix everything except the chocolate chips until well combined.
2. Stir in chocolate chips. Batter will be thick!
3. Bake for about 32-36 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Coffee Caramel Buttercream
Between 3/4 cup and 1 cup Caramel Bits
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Stir instant coffee into heavy cream to dissolve.
2. Over medium-low heat, cook caramel bits and heavy cream until the caramel bits are completely melted, stirring constantly. About 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Add the remaining ingredients plus cooled caramel mixture in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until creamy. About 3-5 minutes.
Pick a cake to be the base, top it with buttercream and place the second cake on top. Cover the top and sides with frosting.
Happy birthday, daddy! I'm so glad we got to spend it together as a family. I love you so very much and am so thankful for all that you do for me. I hope you had an extra special weekend because you deserve nothing less. I love you, thanks for being the best dad a girl could ever have.