Sunday, June 12, 2011

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies

I have a lot of time on my hands. When I say a lot, I mean a whole-heck-of-a-lot-read-a-new-book-every-three-days-amount-of-time-on-my-hands.

I wish I was kidding. I've spent the majority of my time with people under the age of 10 and the amount of time is only going to increase starting June 22nd. Hence why I am reading and taking Calc online. To keep my brain from becoming fluff and thinking of other things other than applying sunscreen to squirmy children, keeping track of who ate the last packet of mini muffins and who can swim across the pool the fastest.
And the whole Calc thing, clearly not my choice to spend my summer doing limits and derivatives. Alex Gerling time to come home and do this nonsense for me, since I know its enjoyable to you. The sole purpose is so that come May 2013 I will be walking through the Dome with a cap and gown on. Much to my dismay. 3 more years of college would be just fine with me, not so much for my parents and that hefty sum Syracuse feels the need to charge.

Today I get to have interaction with people above the age of 10 and under the age of 40. Hooray! (Not there is anything wrong with people above the age of 40, love spending time with you mother and father.) But I need a little bit interaction, you know, gossip, mindless chatter and planning our next semester and just how fabulous it will be. 

Clearly, I needed to bring some sort of baked good to this gathering. What kind of roommate/ neighbor would I be if I didn't?

I had huge elaborate plans to make Lofthouse Style Frosted Cookies because every time we went to the store we would stop and remember our childhoods and how we consumed these high fructose, preservative packed cookies in one bite. Then I realized that you had to refrigerate them over night and quite frankly this morning I'd be too excited to have the patience to be baking and frosting cookies of any sort. So yesterday morning I decided to make some cookies I came across last week and put my own spin on them.


Anything brown sugar calls out to me. And cinnamon. And oats. Well quite frankly because it is the only breakfast that I like. Breakfast, if I wasn't a starved Sally in the mornings, would be skipped. 




Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookies
makes 20+
adapted from How Sweet It Is

Ingredients:

1 stick Butter, at room temperature

3/4 cup Brown Sugar

1 Egg

1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1 3/4 cups Flour

1/4 teaspoon Salt

1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder

1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon

1 tablespoon Milk

3/4 cup Oats
1 cup Cinnamon Chips

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 375.
2. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. 
3.Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combined. 
4. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon on low speed. Mix until dough comes together. 
5. Add in milk. If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together.*
6.Stir in oats and cinnamon chips.
7. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
8. Remove dough from fridge and roll into 1 1/2 inch balls or scoop out with an ice cream scooper.    
9. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely. 







* My cookies did not spread, literally stayed in the balls I scooped them into. But, they stayed moist and still tasted good. Many people commented on this in the original post, it may be due to the different amount of milk added. My dough came together with only 1 tablespoon, but it may vary.

**I wrote this before I went, and when I arrive home I got a text from Emily saying.."Holy shit soooo good! I've already had 3"

No comments:

Post a Comment